Monday, June 6, 2011

Pasties

Pasties....not to be confused with the hootie decorations!! :) While the two are spelled the same, pasties (pah-stys) and pasties (pay-stys) are very different things! For those of you who have ever visited the upper peninsula Michigan or the Mackinaw area you know what I am talking about. These tasty guys are a sort of  beefy pot pie-ish thing. I am not so much a meat and potatoes type, but these suckers are soooo good! When I started looking into recipes I couldn't believe how much butter and unnecessary junk were in these! I was really excited to try my hand at modifying this recipe. We were up in the U.P. Michigan last week at my parents house. They too enjoy a good pasty, so I knew they would be good people to try my new version. I must say I was quite pleased and I pretty sure they enjoyed them just as much! You gotta try these things! Especially if you or your family love meat and potatoes! Oh yeah, and ya gotta make the gravy! It makes the Pasty!! Eat up!


Ingredients

4 1/4 fine ground whole wheat flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c butter or butter substitute
1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
1 cup cold water

1 pound boneless round or chuck steak or chuck roast cut into 1/4 in cubes, cut into 1-inch cubes (I cut it then I beat the heck out of them to really tenderize it so it ends up being pieces rather than cubes)
2 red potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/4 inch)
1 c onion, chopped
1 c rutabaga, cubed (1/4 in)
1 carrots, diced (1/4 in)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a large bowl, combine flour baking soda, baking powder and salt and salt. Cut in cold butter and yogurt until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate while cutting the veggies. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop all veggies and meat. In a large bowl, combine meat, potatoes, onion, rutabaga and chopped carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Divide dough into six pieces, and shape into balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 8 inch round. Place approximately 1 cup filling on one half of each. Draw the other half of the pastry over the filling. Crimp edges to seal in filling. Place on prepared baking sheet.Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. While baking, prepare the gravy

Gravy

1 1/2 boxes beef broth
6 cubes beef bouillon
6 tbs corn starch

Directions
Bring all but 1 cup broth and bouillon to a boil. In the 1 cup of cold broth, whisk in the 6 Tbs corn starch until dissolved. Pour into hot broth whisking the whole time. Let simmer until it thickens.
Serve pasties hot with gravy all over the top. (Not gonna lie, this looks good but I dump way more gravy on top!)

1 comment: