Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blackened Salmon and Grilled Veggies

Yes, you read that right....salmon.....I hate fish with a capital H! The smell is enough to make me wanna yak, but Andy loves it!! So, I took one for the team and got a grill (yay!) and Salmon fillets for for fathers day. It was a wonderful day (minus the toddler temper tantrum) loaded with lots of fresh healthy food! While my husbands plate looked like he had spent the day fishing, mine looked like a rabbit buffet. I will give you the heads up that there were plenty of veggies, and if you are feeding 2-3 you won't need as much, but that is basically all I ate for lunch. Also, the blackening spice I used isn't my homemade creation by any means. I don't like fish, therefore I have no clue what to do with it. So, I stick with the one thing that makes Andy salivate. Chef Zachary Blackening Spice. It has no msg or preservatives, so it goes right along with how we like to eat. For my house, this is a must have for my hubby's fish. If you like fish, enjoy this post, because it is a one in a million type of thing here. :) (I know I joke a lot about fish, but seriously, it is super good for you...wish my taste buds and nostrils liked it!) :)

Ingredients

2 zucchini
2 yellow squash
1 large red onion
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
6 cloves garlic
enough olive oil to lightly coat veggies
s & p to taste
Chef Zachary blackening spice
3 large salmon fillets


Directions


 Using a mandolin slicer slice zucchini and yellow squash long ways so they are thinly sliced and long. Cut peppers and onion in large hunks or slices and chop the garlic. Put all veggies in a bowl lightly coat with olive oil salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate up to an hour. Prepare the grill. We use a charcoal grill cause we like the taste. Once the veggies have had a little time to absorb a little bit of the garlic flavor, put them on the grill cross wise on the grates so you don't loose any through the slats. Grill until grill marks or char marks appear and then flip. Time will vary depending on the heat of the grill etc.... Once the veggies have softened up and are slightly charred put them in a pan on the warming rack of the grill. I did a lot of them, so I had to cook them in rounds, putting the cooked ones up in the pan and adding raw to the grill. Once veggies are done, it is time for the fish. My fish had skin on one side, so I put the seasoning on generously as you will see in the picture. However, if yours comes with no skin, you can lightly season each side. Brush a little olive oil on the grill grates and  grill fish skin side first. Grill time again depends on the heat, but cook for 5-10 min then flip the skin should peel right off of the fish this way. Grill the seasoned side for another 5-10. Grill it to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment