Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vegan corn dogs

Corn dogs? Yes, I know, the "dog" portion of a corn dog is usually meat...in my dad's words, "pig lips and chicken butt holes." Gross!! I know, I probably should have refrained from that quote, but it makes me laugh, so....Sorry if I grossed you out. ;) Anyhow, when I was researching recipes I did a search for kid friendly meals. This was one of them. I definitely has to tweak it a little bit to remove the sugar and white flour...annnd.....actually make them taste corny cause the recipe I found...not so corn dogish! These actually tasted quite good and I think the corn meal part made the doggy wanna be taste a whole lot better. Nahum loved this meal! It was his idea to add the sticks. :)

Ingredients

 1 cup whole wheat  flour
 4 tablespoon corn meal
 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
 1 1/2 teaspoon raw honey
 1 teaspoon baking powder
 1/2 c warm water
 8 vegan hot dogs, (I use Smart Dogs)

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix together all ingredients. (except vegan hot dogs). Make sure you don't let the coconut oil re harden before you put the water in. It will clump the flour or corn meal up.Get a wad of dough and work it around the hot dog. I used skewers to actually put them on sticks and that made it a little easier. I could hold on to the stick and wrap the dough around the dog without getting both hands sticky. Skewers are optional though.... Place on a cookie sheet and bake 15-17 minutes, until golden. I served mine with whole grain mustard and it was so yummy! :)

2 comments:

  1. Dad laughed...and also added "everything but the squeal" and "floor scrapings"

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!GROSS! LOL!

    ReplyDelete