Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Vegan Mac n cheese

Again...like the corn dogs, this was a kid friendly vegan meal and Nahum loved it! However....he asked about a million times why it looked brown and not yellow lol. I told him mac n cheese comes in a variety of shapes and colors. Like how Panera has white shells and Annies has yellow and white and all different types of noodles. I think he believed me that it was just like any other mac n cheese lol!! The biggest challenge on this one was the vegan cheese. I found some at the Maple City Market. It was about 3 bucks a bag and I used two bags. There were a few different kinds, but I chose daiya brand because it was dairy free, casein free, soy free and gluten free. This would be safe for those of you who are making GFCF foods. All of the recipes I found required baking and/or tofu so I sorta created my own version so it was creamy like the boxed stuff, or the homemade stove top kind. Even if you are a dairy eater, I think you should try this. It's pretty good!


Ingredients

1 1/4 pound elbow macaroni
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 containers (4 cups) plain vegan creamer (I use Silk)
2 tablespoons garlic powder, divided
2 tablespoons onion powder, divided
2 tablespoons paprika, divided
 salt and pepper, to taste
2 (8 ounce) packages vegan shredded cheese (I used one cheddar and one mozzarella)

Directions 

Boil macaroni according to package directions. While the pasta cooks, heat creamer, garlic and seasonings in a medium sized pot.  Once it starts to simmer slowly stir in vegan cheese and turn up heat to medium high. Stir constantly until cheese is fully melted. Drain pasta and Stir cheese mixture in the pot with the macaroni and toss well. 

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen the daiya brand- i'll have to look for it. Always looking for a good dairy free mac! i've done a few that have been really yummy using nutritional yeast & nuts, cheaper than $3 a bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am just learning this vegan thing, so I am tryin to figure it out as I go. The cheese wasn't that bad, but I will say I feel like I am using a lot more processed food (the "cheese" and hot dogs) in order to try and make this diet work and I don't like that. The yeast and nut thing seems a little more natural to me. Kat are you completely vegan or just no dairy?

    ReplyDelete