Sunday, October 2, 2011

Black bean and corn cakes GF

....Maybe I shoulda called em black bean burgers.....That sounds a little more appetizing than a bean cake. Oh well, what's done is done right? These would actually be really great as a burger on a bun, but we just ate them plain. So far this is one of Nahum's favorites, and I think mine too!  I am a bit of a black bean junkie so this went down well for me. Doesn't hurt that I made guac to go on it! YUMMY! I doubled this recipe so we had enough to eat for leftovers for lunch the next day, but if you are only making it for two or even four for dinner, you could make it as is. I usually make a lot so I can have leftovers. Enough chatter...on with the vegan bean cakes! ;)

Ingredients


2 cup nondairy milk (I use plain almond milk)
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups black beans, drained, divided
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground black pepper   
4 cloves garlic, optional
1 1/2 cup sweet corn (I used my frozen corn from this summer) 
guacamole, to garnish

Directions

 Heat the nondairy milk over medium-high heat in a small sauce pan until boiling. Mix the cornmeal and salt and whisk into the boiling milk. Make sure to avoid lumps by stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, or until the cornmeal has cooked through and forms a solid mass that pulls away from the sides of the pan.  Measure out 2/3 cup black beans and set aside. In a food processor, blend the remaining black beans, garlic and spices then stir that into the cooked cornmeal to form a thick paste. Stir in the remaining 2/3 cup black beans and the corn. Shape this mixture into about 10 thick patties. Cook over a high heat in a lightly oiled pan about 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Serve with guacamole if desired. Tastes great alone or on a bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment