Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Acorn Squash soup~Bonus blog!!! GF

I have never been much of one for eating squash. (Other than spaghetti squash which is basically flavorless.) I can still remember gagging when my mom made me eat it as a kid. Pretty much can't stand it. Wish I could, but...I can't. Well, yesterday Andy brought home our produce box and lo and behold there was an acorn squash. My first thought was "Crap. What a waste of money!" My second thought was "I like a challenge in the kitchen!" So, thus began my journey to make squash edible. I looked at about a million and one squash soup recipes and nothing struck my fancy...yes, I just said struck my fancy. :) So, I decided to make up my own and make it as healthy as I could. I am proud to say that I loved it! I ate squash and I loved it! I will absolutely make this again this fall/winter. Maybe even a couple of times!

Ingredients

1 Organic acorn squash
salt and pepper
Olive oil to drizzle
1 C red lentils
4 C (1 box) chicken or veggie broth
1 C kefir
3 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion
1 cup organic frozen spinach
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp dried dill
1 tbs coconut oil

Directions

Cut squash in half. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper generously. (this will be the only s&p in the soup) Place open side down in a baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
While squash bakes, place chicken broth and lentils in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Add spinach and seasonings to the lentils and then simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Melt coconut oil in a skillet over md/high heat. Cook sliced onions and whole garlic cloves until onion is iridescent and slightly caramelized.
Remove squash from oven and spoon out the insides. Place kefir, onion mixture, lentil mixture and squash in a food processor. Puree until thick and smooth. Serve with homemade bread!

1 comment:

  1. You totally amaze me, girl! You came up w/your own recipe becuz of one ingredient! I HAVE to follow a recipe! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete