Friday, October 28, 2011

Chickpea soup GF

My bf from elementary school (Tara) put this recipe on fb the other day and it instantly appealed to me. It is right up my alley!! The recipe she posted didn't have any spinach in it, however, I try to sneak it in wherever I can. And, since I added the spinach, I pureed it completely so my men didn't see any "green things" as Nahum calls it. Tara's recipe pureed only 4 cups of it to keep it somewhat chunky. I also think it would be good without pureeing anything, but if you want to hide the spinach, give it a good whirl with an immersion blender and your secret will be safe. :)


Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onion
8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
4 c fresh baby spinach
4 cups water
1 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon salt
½ tsp cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese ( I used feta)

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes, or until onion starts to become transparent. Add spinach and stir until wilted.. Stir in the water and the next 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Using an immersion blender completely puree. (You could leave some chunky or leave it totally chunky. I pureed it so my boys didn’t notice the spinach….sneaky sneaky. J  Stir in the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Serve sprinkled with feta cheese or Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment