Monday, July 4, 2011

Tomato Basil Quinoa GF

Seeing how it is the 4th weekend, I have had 2 cookouts to make side dishes for. This one is a side dish, however, it could be a main course as well. Quinoa  is a complete protein as it is and I must say I find it very filling! I also use it as a replacement for pasta. Quinoa is one of the most versatile foods I have ever worked with! I love it! When I made this yesterday I accidentally dumped too much salt into the water....I say dumped, because I literally dumped it. I wasn't thinking. Ya know how when you make pasta you generously salt the water to flavor the pasta? Well, once the pasta is cooked you drain off the water.....with quinoa it absorbs the water...yeah....I was thinking pasta. So, even though it was a tad on the salty side, I did get some good reviews from the extended family on this one. So....just keep in mind...do not over salt the cooking water! hee hee! Keep in mind this doesn't have to be a side dish. It is packed with a protein punch and is a great summer meal! BTW the basil is from my garden! yay!

Ingredients

1 1/2 C quinoa ~ cook to directions your quinoa comes with, usually twice the amount of water to quinoa
1-3 tsp salt ~ taste the salted water and be sure it isn't too salty. This is how salty your quinoa will taste
1/4 red onion
2-3 cloves garlic
1- 8 oz package fresh pearl mozzarella
2 C halved cherry tomatoes
1 C basil
1/8 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C rice vinegar ~ I like the garlic infused one

Directions

Cook quinoa in salted water. Cut onions finely, crush the garlic, halve the tomatoes and thinly slice the basil. I mix all of the veggies/cheese together and chill the quinoa. Once the quinoa is cooled completely, add it in to the cheese, basil, tomato mixutre. It is quite simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment