Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Green Bean Quinoa GF

Ok, I admit it, I refuse to plant green beans in my garden due to the childhood drama of having to pick and snap the suckers in the good ole humid, firey hot heat of the Indiana summers. However, There is a local organic farm Ridge Lane Farm that I buy fresh produce from and last week they had some amazing green beans, so I bought em.....way easier than growing em myself lol and I know it is healthy and I have come to enjoy the family behind the farm. Support local organic farmers!! :) Ok, I'm off my soap box. Oh, and a little disclaimer: This had Black quinoa in it and depending on where you buy it, it can be called red or black. I guess some people just refer to it differently...it is a bit red and black, so...whatever, just know it is the same thing!

Ingredients

2 C Black quinoa
4 C chicken or vegitable broth
1 1/2 C slivered almonds
3 handfuls fresh green beans
2 tbs olive oil
1 red onion
1 cloves garlic
s & p to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp paprika
1/4 c water

Directions

Rinse quinoa, then put in a sauce pan with broth. Bring to a boil then back down to a simmer. Simmer for 20 min or until all of the broth is absorbed. Chop onions and garlic. Put Olive oil in a skillet on md/high heat and place onion and green beans in. The onions will start to caramelize, then add in the garlic, s & p nutmeg and paprika. Once the onions are fully caramelized, add in the waterm reduce heat to low and cover. Let cook about 5 more minutes until beans are cooked through but not mushy. In a dry skillet toast the almonds over md/high heat until lightly browned. Make sure you toss them around a little so they don't burn. sprinkle the almonds generously over the green beans and serve with quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment