Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Vanilla Almond Granola

I have tried and tried to make crunchy granola without using oil and it is dang hard!! The oil definitely gives it that yummy crunch. However, I am not a fan of the fat and calories in oil, so I was bent on figuring something out. Praise the good Lord I finally found something that works! It is Brown Rice Syrup! If you use too much you can get a bit of a funky after taste, but I think I have finally managed to get a good honey to syrup ratio. Now, this will make your granola crunchy, however it does not stick together in big clumps like traditional granola. I also did not add fruit to this one since it is a honey almond, but I do make one with dried fruits and such that I am sure I will post another day. If you are wondering where in the world to find brown rice syrup, you can get it in the GF section of the New Paris store or in GF areas of specialty stores. (online too) This makes for a great late night snack! I eat it like popcorn! ;)

Ingredients

3 lbs Rolled Oats
1/2 C Brown Rice Syrup
3/4 C Raw Honey
5 Tsp Vanilla extract
4 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Clove
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Cup slivered almonds

Directions

Bake oats at 425 degrees for 5-10 min just enough to dry them out and bake them a little bit. (I use 2 cookie sheets but you could use a dutch oven or baking dish.) While oats are in the oven, Mix syrup, honey, vanilla, and spices together and set aside. Also toast your almonds in a dry skillet over md/high heat until they get golden brown. Mix all ingredients together until oats are fully coated. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes stirring every 3-5 minutes. Do not let it burn. :) Let sit until completely cooled and then break apart and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment