Monday, May 16, 2011

Roasted Tomato Salsa

So about a month ago I went to Chicago with a few of my girls. We ate at this Mexican Restaurant that had a very unique salsa. Denise and I kept trying to figure out the flavors and I couldn't quite pin point one and she said "cumin!" She was right! It was cumin...and the tomatoes were roasted. It was really really good. So, I decided I was going to figure out the recipe. In my family we are huge salsa eaters! In the summer when the veggies are fresh I make it every week! I am a sucker for fresh salsa! I can hardly stand to eat canned or jarred salsa anymore. It just isn't the same! I will admit I was kinda proud of myself for figuring this one out. I am sure it isn't exact, but it is close enough for me! So, kudos to the Mexican restaurant in the Schaumburg area near Chi-town! Your salsa was so good I had to figure out how to make it on my own!! (Too bad I can't remember it's name lol!) If you are a salsa junkie like me, this is a must try!!!

Ingredients

15 Roma Tomatoes
2 Jalapenos seeded
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Md White Onion Quartered
1 1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Salt
1 Lime Juiced
Handful of Finely Chopped Cilantro

Directions

Put whole tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic (still in skins), and onion in a baking dish. Broil on high for 30 minutes. stirring around every 10 min so all sides of veggies get charred. Once finished, use a large spoon to remove everything from the dish and place in a food processor. There is quite a bit of liquid in the baking dish you do not want watering down your salsa. Add Cumin and salt. Blend/chop until it is evenly and coarsely chopped. Pour into a bowl and squeeze in lime juice and add in cilantro. Stir until evenly blended. I really like to eat this with blue corn chips!!! mmmmmm.......

3 comments:

  1. Do you know if salsa freezes well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I wondered who my new male follower was ;)I have a fresh (not roasted) salsa that I freeze but I have never tried this one.

    ReplyDelete