Saturday, May 14, 2011

Armenian Style Lentils

Here is another meal packed full of protein with no meat!! I found a recipe on allrecipes.com and I thought it looked pretty good...and then as I cooked it I totally changed it. I can't stand bland and it looked bland! Also, I like a little color. You could totally use yellow onion but it wouldn't look as nice. You could use all brown lentils as well, but the split peas add a nice flavor and a touch of color. This meal reminds me of the flavors I had in Turkey. I really enjoy this!

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
4 cups broth (chicken or veggie would work)
1 cup lentils or split peas ( or 1/2 c of each)
1/2 cup Bulgar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 lemon, quartered
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp coriander
Feta cheese

Directions

Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic in the oil until caramelized. Add broth,Bulgar,lentils, split peas, salt and pepper to the pan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.Reduce to a simmer until water is completely absorbed.(about 20 min) I ended up having to add more broth because
the Bulgar wasn't finished cooking. Test it and if it is still hard, add more liquid to help continue the cooking process if needed.
Mix yogurt and three remaining spices in a separate bowl.
Divide lentils into 4 portions and squeeze one lemon wedge over each portion and top with Greek yogurt mixture and feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment