Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Brits Banana Bread

Brittany gave me this recipe to tweak for her. She said that it was really dense and needed some moisture. It was also made with soy flour, white flour and refined sugar. So, this is my tweak to help moisten up her recipe and make it a little healthier. The reason for the soy (or in this case garbanzo bean/chickpea flour is to add more protein so it can be a well rounded breakfast on its own. The bean flours do have a very strong flavor, so it takes some major additives to tone it down.  In this case, I added more banana, vanilla extract and cinnamon. I would recommend trying soy, as I have heard it has a less potent flavor. This was my first time working with chickpea flour and it definitely has a potent flavor! I think it turned out pretty good after adding a few things and I am excited for you guys to try it and let me know what you think. I love tinkering around with recipes, so I welcome recipes that you wish were healthier or your healthy recipes that you wish tasted better like this one. Healthy food doesn't have to taste like butt....that's right, I said butt! ;) (I have no idea how butt actually tastes, but it can't be good can it?)
Note: This makes 2 loaves. I find most recipes make one...what's the point its usually gone in a couple of days, if you are making the mess ya might as well make 2 and freeze one! ;)

Preheat oven 350
Sift together:
3 c garbanzo/chick pea flour (could use soy as well)
2 c whole wheat flour
4 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp   baking soda
1 ½ tsp salt
2/3 C dry milk powder 
3Tbs dough enhancer
2 tsp cinnamon
Add in:
1C honey
½ C kefir/plain yogurt
Add:
2 eggs
2/3 C water  
6 bananas mashed
2 tsp vanilla

Mix very well and pour into greased 9x5x3 loaf pans. Top with chopped pecans. Bake at 350 for 40 min. Removed loaf from pan to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment