- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I dunno what was up with my quinoa, but I had to use an entire box of broth for it to cook all the way...so heads up maybe some uses more and takes longer to cook.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I like a lot of this, so I used 2)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped tomatoes (you can leave these out if you want)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,(again, mine took more like 30)
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro until beans are warmed through and serve topped with fresh tomatoes!