Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pasta in Hummus Sauce

The vegan week began...and is going quite well! I will say I do miss my yogurt in the mornings, but I will survive! :) Yesterday I organized the boys rooms, and our room. Rearranged the boys rooms, made a head board rearranged the basement and a little in our dinning area....Oh yeah, and I hung pictures in our bed room, the living room and a mirror in the master bath. Andy laughed and said "well, the vegan diet must be working lol!" Who the heck knows it that is where the energy burst came from or not, but I don't feel worse, so that's good! :)  But anyhow, My first meal was the pasta and hummus sauce. Can I just say YUM?! Andy said he liked it so much he would have eaten it even if we weren't doing this vegan month! And, Nahum ate the spinach! WHAT?! He never eats anything green! I highly recommend this even if you are a meat eater! It was super good and I will definitely make it again!

Ingredients

1 lb whole wheat pasta
2 cans organic garbanzo beans drained
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons juiced
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
3 cloves organic garlic
15oz can organic diced tomatoes drained
8 oz can organic tomato sauce
1 can black or kalamata  olives drained
10 oz box organic frozen spinach

Directions

Cook pasta to package directions. Put garbanzo beans, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, cumin, and garlic in a food processor. (blender would work as well) puree well! Once pasta is cooked, strain it. Place the spinach in the pan and completely thaw. Return the pasta to the pan. Pour the hummus, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and olives over it and bring up to temperature and serve.

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Must try! Where do you get your organic garbanzos and organic pumpkin puree (from muffin recipe?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organic garbanzo beans I got at meijer. They are meijer brand organics. I can't remember on the pumpkin puree....That was too long ago lol! I have a friend who makes her own and I planned to this year, but my pumpkins didn't grow in my garden...boo!! I have had a lot of trouble finding organic pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, looks delicious! i will have to try that for sure (and re: the gas prob, that will get better as your body adjusts to more fruits & veggies )

    ReplyDelete