Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Egg Plant and Tomato Stack

It has been a busy week, and it is only going to get busier for me. This is the week that I work the Wakarusa Children's Resale, and let me tell ya....It is work! I have shin splints a pulled muscle and my whole body aches from the first two days....Does this mean I am old? :) I am pulling a couple of recipes out that I have already made, cause this week is easy food...egg sandwiches and mac n cheese here we come! So, here we go. This is my version of a egg plant Parmesan. We had these beautiful egg plants growing out in our garden and I have made some dips with them, but I was so excited to make them into this!! It is soooo good! Buy the freshest egg plants you can find! If they are getting old and mushy wait until another time! Also, make sure you salt them well before breading, cause they are a bitter veg and they need the salt!!

Ingredients

1-2 heirloom tomatoes
2 eggs
1 egg plant
1-2 C Italian bread crumbs...buy or make your own (6 slices dry whole wheat bread, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp rosemary)
4 Tbs Olive Oil
Salt
Fresh grated motz cheese

Directions

cut the skin off of the egg plant and then cut it into 1/4 inch thick circles. Beat the eggs and put them in a shallow dish. Put the bread crumbs in another shallow dish. Egg plant is bitter so make sure you salt it more than you normally would....you should be able to see a little bit of salt on the egg plant. Then, coat with egg and then bread crumbs. Heat skillet on Md/High heat with olive oil. Fry the egg plant until cooked through, and browned on each side. (about 3 min per side) Lay on a cookie sheet after frying and sprinkle with fresh mozzarella cheese. Place under broiler on low until the cheese melts. Slice big ole beefy tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick and layer them with the egg plant. This can be served with Pasta if you would like, but we make enough to make this the main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment