Monday, January 16, 2012

Black Bean Soup

Again, I got this recipe from my friend Darcy. It sounded great and I couldn't wait to make it! I did tweak this one a little more cause I wanted to add a little bit more vitamins to it. I knew since part of it was blended it was the perfect recipe to sneak in a few more veggies! :) This recipe should however come with a warning.....Take Beano before eating! Hilarious but true!  Also, the original called for cayenne pepper and my  little ones can't take the heat so I swapped it out for black pepper. If you like heat, add in some tasty cayenne!

Ingredients

1 carrot roughly chopped
2 C baby spinach
1 Red bell pepper roughly chopped and seeded
1 onion roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
1/2 C cilantro
1 tomato
1/2 C corn kernels
1 lime juiced
1 Tbs tomato paste
3 C chicken broth
Plain Greek yogurt
avocado

Directions

Saute the carrot, spinach, red pepper, onion, garlic, pepper, cumin and salt in a large pot until carrots are soft enough to blend. Add in tomato paste, broth, cilantro, tomato and 1/2 of the black beans. Blend completely with a hand blender. Add in the corn, lime juice and remaining beans. Heat through and serve topped with Plain Greek yogurt and avocado! Oh it is sooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment