Saturday, November 19, 2011

Stuffed Quinoa and Turkey Meat loaf GF

I'm not much of a meat loaf person. In fact, I think it is safe to say I am a hater.A big ole pile of ground beef covered in ketchup. Gross! I mean seriously. Who thought up a loaf....of meat....?!?! The name says it all!! The only meat loaf I ever like up until now was my Cindi's My best friend in high school, Nicole's, mom. It was stuffed with ham and cheese and had pizza sauce on top. Now that I could do! Thinking of that inspired me to figure out a healthier and tastier version of the classic Midwest staple. So, here it is! I really liked it, and that says a whole lot coming from a meat loaf hater!

Ingredients

Loaf Ingredients
1/4 C quinoa
If you line your pan with foil it makes
 clean up a whole lot easier. Keeps the
glaze from burning to the bottom.
1/2 C water
1 Tsp Olive Oil
 1 Tbs Cumin
1 yellow onion diced
4 cloves crushed garlic
20 oz ground turkey
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs Tabasco
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Filling Ingredients
3/4 c feta cheese
1/2 c frozen or wilted spinach (If frozen be sure it is completely thawed)
Glaze Ingredients
2 Tbs raw honey
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp water

Directions

Pre heat oven to 375. Cook quinoa in water to directions on package. Let it cool a little bit before mixing with the meat so it doesn't cook it when you are mixing it. Mix all loaf ingredients fully. Using about 3/5 of the mixture make the bottom half of the loaf. Create a well in the middle with the sides slightly higher. Put the feta and spinach in the well. Using the last 2/5 of the meat mixture completely cover the filling and create the top of the loaf. Mix the glaze ingredients well and brush over the top until it is completely covered and running down the sides. Bake at 375 for 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. ok...Erin...I am a FETA HATER!! any other alternative cheese choices...plaleazee...I really want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mozzarella is a lower fat cheese, you could do shredded.....or gorgonzola would be yummy. Goat cheese would be awesome!!! Let me know what you try!

    ReplyDelete