4 C Fine Ground Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbs Bulk, Refrigerated Yeast
1 1/2C Warm Water (between 110-120 degrees)
3 Tbs Raw Honey
1 Tbs Salt
- In large bowl, ( I use a stand mixer bowl) combine 1-1/2 cups flour and yeast. Mix water, 3 tablespoons honey and salt together, and add to the dry ingredients. Beat with a mixer (again, I use a stand mixer) for 30 seconds at a low speed, scraping the sides of the bowl clean. Beat at a higher speed for 3 minutes. Then, add 2 cups more flour and mix until dough is fairly firm.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead. I knead in another 1/2 cup flour because the dough is pretty sticky. Knead until smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes). Cover, let rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 12 portions, shape into smooth balls. Poke a hole in the center with your finger, working the bagel into a uniform shape. I don't like a huge hole in the middle, so I just make a small finger width hole, but you could do larger. Place on a greased piece of waxed paper and Cover. Let rise 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start a gallon of water boiling. Put 1 Tbs of honey in it, mix it around a bit. Reduce to a simmer.
- When the bagels are ready, put 4 bagels into the water, and cook 7 minutes, turning once. Drain them on a cooling rack. Place on a greased baking sheet, (I sprinkle them with chia seeds and sesame seeds) and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven, eat hot or cold.